WM6 Mobile Standard
ED
2009-08-20 08:59:30 UTC
Hi all,

On WM6 Mobile Standard (no touchscreen), how can you disable the calendar
reminders for contacts' birthdays and anniversaries? It keeps ringing
(reminder) these events at 11:45pm the night before. I still want them to
show in the calendar, just not remind me of them.

I still want it to ring/remind me of other events I add to the calendar,
just not on whole day events.

I'm syncing with Microsoft Office 2007.

Thanks,
ED
Todd Allcock
2009-08-20 18:13:44 UTC
Can't you edit the appointment on the device, scroll down to "Reminder" and
change it from 15 minutes to "none"?

This could also be done on the desktop and synced to the device.

The default reminder time for all created appointments on the device is 15
minutes, but you can change the value to none (no reminder) or any suitable
reminder time.
ED
ED
2009-08-20 22:23:33 UTC
Hi Todd,

Either Outlook 2007 or WM6 automatically creates these birthday/anniversary
events. I don't create them manually.
Going through each one manually is not the ideal solution. There's just too
many. I was hoping there is a global setting somewhere.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
ED.

ED
Todd Allcock
2009-08-21 17:20:51 UTC
I just ran a few tests with my mobile device and Outlook 2007. Outlook on
the PC is creating the birthday and anniversary entries. Creating a contact
on the mobile doesn't seem to "follow through" and create
birthday/anniversary appointments like desktop Outlook does.

Now the bad news- in what seems to be a bug (at least on my PC with OL
2007), although you can set the reminder time (or switch reminders off by
unticking the "reminder" box in Preferences) as a global preference in
Outlook for newly created appointments, the auto-birthday/anniversary
appointment creation feature seems to ignore the "no reminder" option, and
sets a reminder time for whatever is in the time box, even if the box is
greyed out by unticking "reminders"!

The only work around I can see for new contacts is to manually edit all new
birthday/anniversary appointments after entering the contacts in Outlook,
or, optionally, enter them on the device instead, and let them sync back to
Outlook on the desktop (then no appointment is created at all, however.)

As to the preexisting appointments, manually editing them seems to be the
only option, but you obviously don't have to do them all at once. You'll
conveniently be reminded to edit them individually at about 11:45PM the
night before each one!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!) ;)

Kidding aside, since this seems to be on the (PC) Outlook side of the
equation, rather than the mobile side, I suggest you try the Outlook
newsgroups- perhaps someone there knows of a trick or a third party utility
to fix this bug, and perhaps mass edit the preexisting entries.

Good luck!
ED
ED

ED
r***@pen_fact.com
2009-08-25 15:53:08 UTC
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:20:51 -0600, "Todd Allcock"
<***@AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

clip
Post by Todd Allcock
Kidding aside, since this seems to be on the (PC) Outlook side of the
equation, rather than the mobile side, I suggest you try the Outlook
newsgroups- perhaps someone there knows of a trick or a third party utility
to fix this bug, and perhaps mass edit the preexisting entries.
And perhaps report back here, because the two of us are probably not
the only one who find Outlook's behavior annoying. My solution is to
go through the Outlook calendar (on PC) day by day to find
birthday/anniversary announcements with alarms.

The right solution would be a way to set "no alarm" as the default for
birthdays and anniversaries in Outlook.
Post by Todd Allcock
Good luck!
Post by ED
Hi all,
On WM6 Mobile Standard (no touchscreen), how can you disable the calendar
reminders for contacts' birthdays and anniversaries? It keeps ringing
(reminder) these events at 11:45pm the night before. I still want them to
show in the calendar, just not remind me of them.
I still want it to ring/remind me of other events I add to the calendar,
just not on whole day events.
I'm syncing with Microsoft Office 2007.
Thanks,
ED

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
r***@pen_fact.com
2009-08-26 19:55:54 UTC
Post by Todd Allcock
Kidding aside, since this seems to be on the (PC) Outlook side of the
equation, rather than the mobile side, I suggest you try the Outlook
newsgroups- perhaps someone there knows of a trick or a third party utility
to fix this bug, and perhaps mass edit the preexisting entries.
And perhaps report back here, because the two of us are probably not
the only one who find Outlook's behavior annoying. My solution is to
go through the Outlook calendar (on PC) day by day to find
birthday/anniversary announcements with alarms.
I do this day-by-day search only every few weeks; not so bad as it
might have seemed.
Post by r***@pen_fact.com
The right solution would be a way to set "no alarm" as the default for
birthdays and anniversaries in Outlook.
Post by Todd Allcock
Good luck!

www.penfact.com
ED
2009-08-28 07:28:02 UTC
The best solution I got was to change the calendar in outlook to a table
view. This will show all your events. Next, add the reminder column to the
view and categorize the list by reminder. Now highlight the events you want
to turn the reminders off and drag them to the "No reminder" category. It
worked great and only took a few seconds. No need to do edit one event at a
time.

Hope this helps,
ED.

<***@pen_fact.com> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:20:51 -0600, "Todd Allcock"
<***@AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

clip
Post by Todd Allcock
Kidding aside, since this seems to be on the (PC) Outlook side of the
equation, rather than the mobile side, I suggest you try the Outlook
newsgroups- perhaps someone there knows of a trick or a third party utility
to fix this bug, and perhaps mass edit the preexisting entries.
And perhaps report back here, because the two of us are probably not
the only one who find Outlook's behavior annoying. My solution is to
go through the Outlook calendar (on PC) day by day to find
birthday/anniversary announcements with alarms.

The right solution would be a way to set "no alarm" as the default for
birthdays and anniversaries in Outlook.
Post by Todd Allcock
Good luck!
Post by ED
Hi all,
On WM6 Mobile Standard (no touchscreen), how can you disable the calendar
reminders for contacts' birthdays and anniversaries? It keeps ringing
(reminder) these events at 11:45pm the night before. I still want them to
show in the calendar, just not remind me of them.
I still want it to ring/remind me of other events I add to the calendar,
just not on whole day events.
I'm syncing with Microsoft Office 2007.
Thanks,
ED
To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please
indicate which newsgroup and message).

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400