Need free MS Exchange Server that can sync with Smartphone
Nomen Nescio
2009-04-03 00:20:04 UTC
Apparently mail2web.com is moving to MS Exchange 2007, and now want
$4.95 per month for ActiveSync or Mobile Access.

Is there any other free MS Exchange server that I can use my Windows
Mobile 6 Smartphone to pick up Outlook e-mail from?

Or do I have to switch to Google Sync?
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/sync.html
Todd Allcock
2009-04-03 17:05:03 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Apparently mail2web.com is moving to MS Exchange 2007, and now want
$4.95 per month for ActiveSync or Mobile Access.
Is there any other free MS Exchange server that I can use my Windows
Mobile 6 Smartphone to pick up Outlook e-mail from?
Or do I have to switch to Google Sync?
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/sync.html
I'm not aware of any other free Hosted Exchange accounts.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, Google can't help you- it syncs Gmail Contacts and
Google Calendar over Activesync, but doesn't actually sync your GMail via
Activesync.
Nomen Nescio
2009-04-08 14:30:04 UTC
Post by Todd Allcock
Post by Nomen Nescio
Mobile 6 Smartphone to pick up Outlook e-mail from?
Or do I have to switch to Google Sync?
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/sync.html
I'm not aware of any other free Hosted Exchange accounts.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, Google can't help you- it syncs Gmail Contacts and
Google Calendar over Activesync, but doesn't actually sync your GMail via
Activesync.
I get the impression that the new Exchange 2007 licensing required
mail2web.com to start charging for ActiveSync/Mobile access.

OK, so I will also need Google's
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/mail.html now.

Google is an extremely innovative company, using the Microsoft
ActiveSync protocol to offer a solution to Microsoft Windows Mobile
users, drawing away some users from Microsoft's Outlook and/or
Exchange solutions.

If G and M went into battle, G will take M's weapon (ActiveSync) and
use it against M in an exemplary manner :)

Will M (or someone else) offer free Exchange 2007 Server access to the
masses yearning to remain free who don't want to install more apps on
their phones, before an exodus occurs?
Todd Allcock
2009-04-08 17:15:56 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Todd Allcock
Post by Nomen Nescio
Mobile 6 Smartphone to pick up Outlook e-mail from?
Or do I have to switch to Google Sync?
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/sync.html
I'm not aware of any other free Hosted Exchange accounts.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, Google can't help you- it syncs Gmail Contacts
and Google Calendar over Activesync, but doesn't actually sync your
GMail via Activesync.
I get the impression that the new Exchange 2007 licensing required
mail2web.com to start charging for ActiveSync/Mobile access.
Well, that's the impression mail2web gave US! AFAIK, all Exchange hosting
is licensed, so they were paying something for those free Exchange 2003
accounts and hoping to fund it with the ad banners they plastered over OWA.
I suspect the ad-supported model wasn't paying the bills, so they used the
upgrade (and perhaps a higher license fee for 2007) to announce that they
"couldn't" offer free accounts. I suspect they certainly didn't want to
continue losing money on us freeloaders. I used them soley for free push
email, so I rarely ever saw the OWA ads, because I hardly used the OWA
portal.

On the bright side, the new pricing is actually reasonable- the "full
monty"- hosted Exchange with Activesync support and a copy of Outlook 2007
and desktop MAPI access is only $10/month- they were charging $15 for that
before, IIRC.
Post by Nomen Nescio
OK, so I will also need Google's
http://www.google.com/mobile/winmo/mail.html now.
Yep, which doesn't offer push, unfortunately.
Post by Nomen Nescio
Google is an extremely innovative company, using the Microsoft
ActiveSync protocol to offer a solution to Microsoft Windows Mobile
users, drawing away some users from Microsoft's Outlook and/or
Exchange solutions.
Um, "licensing" MS' Activesync protocol, not just "using" it.
Post by Nomen Nescio
If G and M went into battle, G will take M's weapon (ActiveSync) and
use it against M in an exemplary manner :)
Perhaps, but Microsoft strikes me as a company happy to let you beat them
over the head with a baseball bat, as long as you buy the bat from them!
Post by Nomen Nescio
Will M (or someone else) offer free Exchange 2007 Server access to the
masses yearning to remain free who don't want to install more apps on
their phones, before an exodus occurs?
I've wondered, but I expect they'll continue adding features to Hotmail to
make it an "Exchange Lite"- The Windows Live (Hotmail) app
(wl.windowsmobile.com) gives push email and contacts sync- if they add
calendar sync down the road as well, it will be a fairly complete free sync
solution, but awkward and limited enough that it won'tt cannabalize sales of
hosted Exchange.

I use Funambol.com's Funambol software with the ScheduleWorld server for
free OTA PIM sync between my WinMo phones and several PCs running Outlook.
For me, mail2web was only for push email, which I'm now transitioning to my
rarely used Hotmail account with the Windows Live mobile app. Hotmail push
is a little laggy- it often takes up to 5 minutes to receive an email ,where
mail2web was generally within a minute or two, but it's hard to complain
considering what I'm paying for it! ;-)
JN
2009-04-23 10:48:03 UTC
This is going to sound terrible, but I really cannot wait until these "Free"
ad sponsored sites and other marketing sponsored items come crashing down
and start charging instead of collecting information which sets you up for
fraud. The mass amount of data and personal information these sites are
collecting (and Yes, they are sharing the information) is getting obscense.

Now whenever I go to some place like Amazon or even my first trip to another
site that requires something like an email addresss I get prompted to
purchase a bunch of products and services. They are clearly close enough to
know that someone is tracking searches and purchases. If people like us
that are pretty savvy with our computers and mobile devices are being
tracked, what hope does the average Joe and grandmother with the new
computer have.

Back to the OP point about charging.... Eventuanlly they are all going to
have to start charging because ad revenue is being focused on fewer and
fewer sites. The shake out will force most of the revenue to biggies like
Google so they will be safe for years to come, but wanna bees will be
charging soon enough.
Post by Todd Allcock
jmorgan
2009-05-13 21:52:01 UTC
does anyone know if it is possible to wireless sinc from a public folder in
outlook(that contains my calender) to my smart phone?
If not where can I go for infomation to change the security characteristics
on my calender so that my entire company can access this and I am still the
only one who will sinc the information to my personal phone; at the same time
allowing others to sinc their calenders as well.

William
2009-05-14 04:27:09 UTC
Post by jmorgan
does anyone know if it is possible to wireless sinc from a public folder in
outlook(that contains my calender) to my smart phone?
If not where can I go for infomation to change the security characteristics
on my calender so that my entire company can access this and I am still the
only one who will sinc the information to my personal phone; at the same time
allowing others to sinc their calenders as well.
Just change the permissions on your personal calendar, giving everyone
"Reader" status. They will be able to view your calendar in Outlook,
but it won't be synced to their mobile devices. It will still sync to
your device.

The exact instructions for changing permissions will depend on your
Outlook version-number. Usually it involves right-clicking on the
calendar (from folder-list), then selecting "Sharing", then setting
the "Default" permission to "Reviewer". Other users can then select
"File" > "Open" > "Other Users Folder", to open your calendar.

--
WH