Audiovox SMT-5600 Daylight Savings Time Problem
Todd Allcock
2009-04-24 01:00:32 UTC
Crossposting this to microsoft.public.smartphone in hopes of attracting some
experts!
The weirdest thing has happened on my phone. When the time changed
recently, my phone didn't change time. I went in and manually changed
it. Then, a week later, it changed time on more hour ahead which
changed all my appointments on my calendar one hour ahead as well. I
went into the phone and changed the time back an hour but that didn't
resolve all my appointments.
I've been hunting on the internet for a patch. Does anyone know if
one exists? Or am I dreaming that AT&T would provide such a thing.
There's a patch that will fix the dates that the phone changes in and out of
DST in the future, but it will not move your appointments back an hour.
That info is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/daylight-savings-update.mspx,
if your phone runs WM5 or WM6. If it runs WM2003 (which I believe the 5600
does) you'll want this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7074664e-827c-477c-a59f-a6103aaba3b1&DisplayLang=en

We'll wait here quietly while you install the patch... ;-)

Back already? Good...

Now, a couple of questions before we try to fix the appointments...

What time zone is your phone currently set for? Your correct zone, or one
zone ahead? If it's ahead, moving it back to the correct zone will fix the
appointments, then you can reset the clock for the correct time.

Are you in Arizona? AT&T might be messing up your time zone and clock. I
use T-Mobile, and they've sent the wrong time zone info to Arizona for
years, because of AZ's non-observance of DST. If so, you need to disable
the "automatic time zone and clock" adjustment on the phone then correctly
set the time zone and clock manually. If the wireless carrier is setting
the time and time zone incorrectly, it'll just keep changing back to the
incorrect zone and move your appointments again.

Now, assuming the clock/time zone is correctly set and will stay that way,
let's try to fix the appointments...

Which, of course, leads to more questions! ;-)

Do you sync this phone with Outlook? Are the times on the computer correct,
or ahead an hour. If they're ahead too, run the MS Outlook Time Zone Update
Tool here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931667

If the computer's calendar is correct, do this instead:
1. Uncheck the "Calendar" sync in Activesync's options (on the phone),
2. Sync with the PC,
3. Delete the calendar items from the phone (if the sync didn't do it by
itself)
4. Recheck "calendar" in Activesync (on the phone)
5. Resync with the PC...

That should put your calendar items back. (IMPORTANT! Do the previous
exactly in the order I described, to avoid deleting the calendar on your PC
when syncing!)

If you do not sync with Outlook, you'll have to manually fix every
appointment. Try to stop fixing appointments at around November, because
they might all jump back an hour at the next DST change...

Good luck!
LauraM
2009-04-24 02:07:01 UTC
Post by Todd Allcock
[...]
Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I'm going to try this as soon as
I return from my trip this weekend. I really appreciate the
information. I love my Audiovox.

Since you know so much (snicker), is there another phone that has
calendaring functions that sync up with MS Outlook? One that is a
flip phone? I'm thinking of getting a new one but I don't like the
keys exposed. And I don't need a full keyboard for typing because I
only text occasionally and enter appointments in my calendar.
Thanks!!

I'll wait here patiently while you formulate an answer. ;)

just kidding...
Sven
2009-04-24 03:13:39 UTC
Won't take long to formulate that answer. There isn't a single freakin'
(sorry) Windows Mobile Smartphone in a flip form factor. Please someone tell
me I'm wrong. Only Asia and the iMate SmartFlip don't count ;). The
Smartflip could have been a decent phone if the build quality had been
there.

As far as other phones that sync with Outlook, any and every Windows Mobile
phone, touch screen or not, does that. Most folks tend to lean towards
things their cell carrier offers because of the price subsidy. Can I assume
you are with AT&T since that is who offered the 5600? Should we assume you
want to stay with AT&T, pay less than a couple hundred, or are you open to
switching or paying more for an unlocked device?

just kidding...
Todd Allcock
2009-04-24 06:03:12 UTC
Post by LauraM
is there another phone that has
calendaring functions that sync up with MS Outlook? One that is a
flip phone? I'm thinking of getting a new one but I don't like the
keys exposed. And I don't need a full keyboard for typing because I
only text occasionally and enter appointments in my calendar.
Thanks!!
I'll wait here patiently while you formulate an answer. ;)
just kidding...
I deserved that! ;-)

As Sven said, not currently. However, if you don't mind going the
used/refurbished/eBay route, you should look at the Cingular 3125 (aka
Qtek 8500, or HTC "Str Trk")- it's a cute little Windows Mobile flip
phone that sounds like exactly what you're looking for, and can be had on
eBay for around $100 (or much less if you don't mind a cosmetically
shabby one!)
LauraM
2009-04-24 14:19:47 UTC
Post by LauraM
is there another phone that has
calendaring functions that sync up with MS Outlook?  One that is a
flip phone?  I'm thinking of getting a new one but I don't like the
keys exposed.  And I don't need a full keyboard for typing because I
only text occasionally and enter appointments in my calendar.
Thanks!!
I'll wait here patiently while you formulate an answer.  ;)
just kidding...
I deserved that!  ;-)
As Sven said, not currently.  However, if you don't mind going the
used/refurbished/eBay route, you should look at the Cingular 3125 (aka
Qtek 8500, or HTC "Str Trk")- it's a cute little Windows Mobile flip
phone that sounds like exactly what you're looking for, and can be had on
eBay for around $100 (or much less if you don't mind a cosmetically
shabby one!)
Hmm...I like the Cingular 3125. I saw some on ebay for under $90 (if
you can excuse the bad spelling from the seller). So does it use
ActivSync?

I've never purchased an unlocked phone. I'm assuming I take my SIM
card and put it in the phone and it works? Do I need to notify AT&T
for any reason?

Thanks for the info!
LauraM
2009-04-24 14:38:19 UTC
Post by LauraM
[...]
Thanks for the info!- Hide quoted text -
Now that I did a little searching....shoulda' done that before I
posted above. I notice that the Razr can sync up with outlook.
People seem to say that SyncCell works better than Motorola Phone
Tools. Do you know anything about that?

The Razr used to have a crappy address book not letting you put in
street names. Is that fixed?

Now I"m wanting a new phone. Guess I'll contribute to the ewaste in
the world.
Todd Allcock
2009-04-24 16:01:44 UTC
Post by LauraM
Now that I did a little searching....shoulda' done that before I
posted above. I notice that the Razr can sync up with outlook.
People seem to say that SyncCell works better than Motorola Phone
Tools. Do you know anything about that?
No, I'm a Windows Mobile man, myself. I haven't used a Motorola phone sine
they were size of VHS videotapes, weighed almost two pounds, and were
powered by steam...
Post by LauraM
The Razr used to have a crappy address book not letting you put in
street names. Is that fixed?
Sorry, not my area of limited expertise...
Post by LauraM
Now I"m wanting a new phone. Guess I'll contribute to the ewaste in
the world.
Nah- just sell the 'vox on eBay after you have the new phone setup to your
liking and restore your Karmic balance...
LauraM
2009-04-24 16:40:34 UTC
Post by LauraM
Now I"m wanting a new phone.  Guess I'll contribute to the ewaste in
the world.
Nah- just sell the 'vox on eBay after you have the new phone setup to your
liking and restore your Karmic balance...
Cute. Thanks much! I think I'll get the 3125. It's reasonably
priced. I checked out the review on CNet, although it's older, but it
got a fairly good review. Now, off to the mountains!
Todd Allcock
2009-04-24 18:27:55 UTC
Post by LauraM
Cute. Thanks much! I think I'll get the 3125. It's reasonably
priced. I checked out the review on CNet, although it's older, but it
got a fairly good review.
Yeah, it's a little older, but the only flip WinMo phone I'm aware of. I'm
actually surprised it didn't sell better here in the USA where we're a
little flip crazy compared to the rest of the world, who ignores them en
masse. T-Mobile USA now offers a flip Blackberry, but I haven't seen any
people carrying them around and about. Maybe the popularity of the flip is
waning?
Post by LauraM
Now, off to the mountains!
Sounds good. Ironically, I have an ancient WinMo Verizon flip phone
(Samsung i600) that I use with a prepaid service when I'm in the mountains
of Colorado because my primary touchscreen WinMo phone doesn't always find
service up there!
LauraM
2009-04-27 18:07:18 UTC
Cute.  Thanks much!  I think I'll get the 3125.  It's reasonably
priced.  I checked out the review on CNet, although it's older, but it
got a fairly good review.
Yeah, it's a little older, but the only flip WinMo phone I'm aware of.  I'm
actually surprised it didn't sell better here in the USA where we're a
little flip crazy compared to the rest of the world, who ignores them en
masse.  T-Mobile USA now offers a flip Blackberry, but I haven't seen any
people carrying them around and about.  Maybe the popularity of the flip is
waning?
I think the touch screen is now the new novelty. I don't care for
touch screens personally because I like to dial without looking. My
husband brought one of those flip blackberries home but again, the
psuedo keys were kind of weird. It had a strange feel, so he returned
it. He gets to try all the new technology because of his job. Lucky
man!
Now, off to the mountains!
Sounds good.  Ironically, I have an ancient WinMo Verizon flip phone
(Samsung i600) that I use with a prepaid service when I'm in the mountains
of Colorado because my primary touchscreen WinMo phone doesn't always find
service up there!
Cingular works pretty good up in the California sierras. There's a
local company up there, but since we're not up there permanently, we
still carry our bay area cell phones. I used to have Sprint before we
bought that house up there, but it doesn't work, so we switched to
Cingular.

Based on Sven's comments about the 3125, I'm a little hesitant now.
Hmm...not sure what I'm going to do now except think about it. :)
Sven
2009-04-29 02:00:37 UTC
Like I said, though the iMate SmartFlip (I had) and the Cingular 3125 are
the same basic device, I don't think they were identical, and I got an early
model. I would Google the 3125 and see what forum posts and reviews have to
say about it. If you get a fairly good deal on it, it was a pretty nice
device, and may just be what you are looking for. I just wouldn't pay a
premium for it.

Todd Allcock
2009-04-30 22:19:05 UTC
I Googled a bit for 3125-specific complaints, and there were the usual
half-dozen to dozen complaints any of model of phone will generate in such a
search. The only "pattern" of complaints I found were a few (seemingly
different) people complaining their keyboard backlight died.

Normally, I'd suggest just looking for another comparable handset, but as
we've all discussed, there isn't another comparable handset- this is the
only GSM-based Windows Mobile flip smartphone I'm aware of. (I have a
CDMA-based Samsung i600 WinMo flip on a Verizon reseller as a prepaid backup
for my regular T-Mobile service.) So, depending on one's tolerance for
risk, this might be candidate for an eBay Squaretrade Warranty. They're
pretty reasonably priced, and they handled a claim of mine without any
problems. (I expected a lot of runaround, but I sent in a Nokia handset the
ringer died on with about a week left on my 3-year warranty and they sent
out a check for what I paid for the phone three years earlier within a week
of receiving the dead phone.) I'm typically anti-"extended warranty"
(particularly after having to sell them myself years ago!) but after that
one good experience, I've insured every $200+ eBay phone I've bought since.
I doubt I'd bother for a $100 handset like the 3125, but again, it's a
risk-tolerance thing. To me personally, a sub-$100 handset breaking is an
"oh well" moment, a $200+ handset is a "G-- D--- it! I need to buy a another
f------ handset!" moment...
Sven
2009-04-25 01:01:52 UTC
That Cingular 3125 is the same as the iMate SmartFlip I mentioned. I had the
keyboard die, took 5 months to get it repaired, and it died again. I
understand this was an HTC device, and they could have been selling the
seconds to iMate, over what they sold to Cingular, etc, but I wouldn't spend
too much on it. It was a really nice little phone as long as it worked
though, I'll give it that. As I recall, iMate was the first to have that
model out, and Cingular, et.al. brought it out later, 6 to 9 months, so
there may have been some opportunity to get a bit better in quality. Just an
FYI.

And yea, you just stick your SIM in it and it should work fine. If you are
on AT&T, the Cingular should work with no problems at all. The other
variants might need some setting tweaking. Post back if whatever you get
doesn't come with some instructions on how to do that. In many cases it is a
matter of running a cab file that sets everything up for a particular
carrier.

Todd Allcock
2009-04-24 15:56:51 UTC
Post by LauraM
Hmm...I like the Cingular 3125. I saw some on ebay for under $90 (if
you can excuse the bad spelling from the seller). So does it use
ActivSync?
Yes. The 3125 is a Windows Mobile phone just like your Audiovox- it
essentially works the same way, although you'll probably have to
download/install the newest version of Activesync. The 3125 uses WM5, which
requires Activesync 4.x. I believe your 5600 is WM2003, which came with
Activesync 3.8. If I'm wrong, and your Audiovox uses WM5, you wouldn't have
to change anything.
Post by LauraM
I've never purchased an unlocked phone. I'm assuming I take my SIM
card and put it in the phone and it works?
Yes. In your case, it doesn't even need to be an unlocked 3125- Cingular is
the prior name of what is now AT&T Mobilty, so locked Cingular phones would
work with an AT&T SIM as well.
Post by LauraM
Do I need to notify AT&T for any reason?
Nope.
Post by LauraM
Thanks for the info!
My pleasure...