Windows mobile 6.1 still unfriendly, Mobile 7 wayyyy to late
Michael Evanchik
2008-12-18 02:37:01 UTC
I do not understand how with the iphone out for years and years now that
still windows mobile and smartphone devices are completely user unfriendly.
Now take the fact that you want to do some advanced features that windows
mobile has, but have to go threw such horrible menus is just nuts. I know,
and sure hope, that windows mobile 7 will put to rest this absolute crap that
they have been putting out. All be it way too late. Late isnt even the
word. (insert word way worse then late) Do they not even use what they
create? I know microsoft has plenty of departments for testing, q/a etc. So
how could they approve windows mobile 5, windows mobile 6, windows mobile 6.1
with any comparison to an iphone???? Not only are they not using what they
give out, they dont even compare to the company they are in competition
with!!!

Microsoft is their own worst enemy.

I do not want to use an iphone, my girlfriend uses it, it is a very good OS
for a phone. I can pull up a webpage, and do whatever is needed almost 5
times faster then i can with my mobile 6.1 phone. If im at dinner and i need
to look something up, i ask to use her phone and i tell her its cause i do
not want to get my blood pressure up. I still prefer to use a Windows phone
due to the fact I like to have my outlook synched, contacts, tasks, mail with
Exchange 2007 seamlessly over a WAN. Microsoft still has us locked down in
this manor as its still a majority desktop OS as well as a cost productive
enterprise solution for servers. I think enterprise software that Microsoft
has been releasing are great(exchange, sharepoint, Server 2008 etc etc) But
they lost the grip on mobile devices totally.

P.S all the updates and new features in pocket IE is absolutely amazing!!!!
I sure hope you all know i am joking.
I understand Mozilla, and Opera have thier own browsers that can help, but
why would they want to leave it to them? They will never integrate fully.

Michael Evanchik
www.MikeEvanchik.com

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?mid=ceb26aeb-b6b3-462f-a61e-64b59832000c&dg=microsoft.public.smartphone
najn_arte
2008-12-21 04:48:01 UTC
I totally agree with the unfriendliness of Windows Mobile 6.
It only took one month of using the device with this system to be really
disappointed.
1) it starts lagging and taking me as long as 15 minutes for something to
happen after I press a button, let's say start or contacts, never mind
photos, etc.

2) This makes browsing the different applications really difficult because
you may think that the system didn't get the command as nothing happens, and
then you hit the button again, so the phone does something totally
unpredictable.
Sometimes I'm trying to send a text message, and I end up opening the start
menu, or I want to take a picture, and then I get the text messaging screen,
or I think I'm dialing a phone number. Nothing happens in the screen, and
when it refreshes, it says the call ended, so the call was being made while
the phone was lagging and not showing that the call was being processed.

If all this does not mean that the system is unfriendly, I don't know what
would make it unfriendly. I used a Palm Tungsten E2 that never gave me that
kind of trouble.
I use a lot Excel to go, and on the Palm, that was never a problem. I
Windows Mobile, however, using excel seems to cause this problem with the
memory even when the files are never as big as I could get them in the Palm.

To make things worse, I have been browsing for a long time trying to find
some place in microsoft, windows mobile, motorola, or Telus how to make the
system work properly, and I don't see anything that could help me in either
website. I'm really dissatisfied.

Seriously, especially with the Excel to go, Windows Mobile is resulting to
me like 10% satisfaction compared to Palm
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
2008-12-22 08:10:21 UTC
Um, the iPhone was released two years ago, not "years and years."

When spreading FUD, get your facts straight.
--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Michael Evanchik asked:

najn_arte
2008-12-22 17:28:02 UTC
I think it's important to focus in the problem and not the semantics. The
number of years doesn't make a difference when it comes to the need of
improving the product. Microsoft has had the opportunity of trying and
testing the iPhone for quite awhile and an even longer time to try their own
product and see what needs to be done.

I totally suffer with Windows Mobile 6, and if you don't tell me what can I
do for it not to take 15 minutes just to dial a call.

That would me much appreciated.

Todd Allcock
2008-12-24 02:49:09 UTC
Post by najn_arte
I think it's important to focus in the problem and not the semantics. The
number of years doesn't make a difference when it comes to the need of
improving the product. Microsoft has had the opportunity of trying and
testing the iPhone for quite awhile and an even longer time to try their own
product and see what needs to be done.
I totally suffer with Windows Mobile 6, and if you don't tell me what can I
do for it not to take 15 minutes just to dial a call.
That would me much appreciated.
While WinMo can be slow, I've never seen a phone require 15 minutes- one
quarter of an hour to be le to make a call.

Something is seriously wrong with YOUR phone, unrelated to the OS!.
Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
2008-12-25 14:14:30 UTC
I have a suggestion: take your watch to service.

I dial in my Samsung Blackjack in around 2 seconds, if it is taking 15
minutes for you it should be a problem in your watch. Maybe the wrong
battery, it is making it run too damn fast.
--
----
Helio Diamant

2008-12-25 14:32:36 UTC
I agree that the iphone brought a standard of user interface that all the
industry is going to run after, and this is the best thing that has happened
to the industry and we should praise Apple for that.

On the other hand, take some facts into consideration:

1. Although it is called a Smartphone, it is comparable to a PocketPC with a
touchscreen, and not to the smartphones we talk about in this newsgroup,
which don't have touch screens.

2. As a business phone, the iPhone is a disaster. Real crap. I can't use as
a business phone something in which I can't do Copy and Paste, I can't
forward an SMS, I can't do a VOIP call, I don't have many options of good
business software to install, I have only a very bad camera, and in the new
3G model the phone calls are terrible. Take a look at this article by Joe
Wilcox at the Apple Watch on eweek, and draw your conclusions for yourself -
http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/iphone/i_still_cant_recommend_iphone_as_phone.html .
The iPhone is only a toy, and this is the reason you will notice that most
business people that carry iPhones with them carry a second phone as well.
One for playing and showing-off, one for working.

3. If you are looking for a good Windows Mobile phone with an iPhone like
Touch interface, you should try the Samsung Omnia. Or use Spb Mobile shell
on your Windows Mobile Phone with touchscreen. But if you have only a
non-touchscreen Smartphone, don't blame Windows Mobile for that, they offer
you both choices, while the iPhone offers only touch screen. The choice was
yours, and if it bothers you it seems you have chosen the wrong phone, not
the wrong OS.
--
----
Helio Diamant
M1ck3Y
2009-02-11 13:27:00 UTC
When you figure out how to "cut & paste" SMS messages in WinMo 6.1, please
let me know. I could do this in 5.0 and it the way I want to use the
smartphone. It's a business phone with computer capabilities, not a toy for
playing games
Todd Allcock
2009-02-12 00:43:03 UTC
Post by M1ck3Y
When you figure out how to "cut & paste" SMS messages in WinMo 6.1, please
let me know. I could do this in 5.0 and it the way I want to use the
smartphone. It's a business phone with computer capabilities, not a toy for
playing games
Which device? The non-touchscreen devices tend to lack cut and paste,
(although a limited CnP ability was added in 6.1 that works in IE and
messaging.)

The touchscreen models should have no problem- if there's no menu item for
it, "standard" PC keyboard shortcuts generally work- highlight the text, and
on the soft (on-screen) keyboard tap CTRL-X to cut, CTRL-C to copy and
CTRL-V to paste.

Works in most WinMo apps, even those without cut and paste options in menus.