HTC Touch Pro and Outlook 2007
Nondisclosure007
2009-02-13 23:46:11 UTC
I've been Googling for a while and I can't find the answer to this.

I have a lot of contacts on my phone (not in Outlook mobile, which I
can't even seem to find depsite the fact I have Office Mobile
installed, but in the phone contacts. Isn't the phone's contacts
supposed to sync up w/ Outlook 2007 on the PC? Becuase my phone still
has all of it's contacts, but they don't go on the PC.

Thank you in advance!
Sven
2009-02-14 02:39:53 UTC
There is no one program on a WM device called Outlook. The functionality is
composed of the separate programs Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes. Yes,
these four should sync with the appropriate modules of Outlook on the PC,
assuming of course you have loaded ActiveSync, if you are running XP, or
Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) if you are running Vista,
paired/partnered the phone, and elected to sync those items. I gather from
your post that this is a new installation on the PC? If that is correct be
very careful on your first sync to read the questions. You will want to
ensure you Combine the information on your Device and PC. You certainly do
not want to overwrite the Device info, where your contacts are, with the
desktop info, which is blank. There will not be an option to overwrite the
desktop from the device. You may not be provided an option at all, in which
case the default is to combine.

I would highly recommend using, or investing in, a backup program to save
all your info, lest something go awry at first pairing. Of course that NEVER
happens.
Thank you in advance!
r***@pen_fact.com
2009-02-14 18:20:14 UTC
Post by Sven
There is no one program on a WM device called Outlook. The functionality is
composed of the separate programs Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes. Yes,
these four should sync with the appropriate modules of Outlook on the PC,
Just in case:
I don't think anyone would store contacts in a SIM without knowing, so
that probably isn't an issue here. But do contacts stored in a SIM
synchronize via ActiveSync?

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Todd Allcock
2009-02-15 08:34:30 UTC
Post by r***@pen_fact.com
Post by Sven
composed of the separate programs Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes. Yes,
these four should sync with the appropriate modules of Outlook on the PC,
I don't think anyone would store contacts in a SIM without knowing, so
that probably isn't an issue here. But do contacts stored in a SIM
synchronize via ActiveSync?
Nope. The SIM contacts display in the device's contacts with a different
icon (a little SIM card), but do not sync.
Nondisclosure007
2009-02-18 16:01:58 UTC
Post by Sven
[...]
Thanks.

This isn't a new installation on a PC. It's the same one I used for
my Mogul phone that I just had replaced. The PC in question is Vista.

So, that being said, how can I fix the situation? I had assumed that
the contacts were being put into Outlook (PC) when I synced.

Thanks.
Sven
2009-02-19 02:58:25 UTC
OK, I may be confused. You have the same PC you always had, with Vista on
it.
You have a new Touch Pro.
You had a Mogul. and had contacts on the Mogul.
Right so far?

You believed you were syncing the Mogul.
Do you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on the PC? If not, you
need it to sync contacts. Or anything else.
Is there anything in Outlook on the PC? (contacts?) If not then contacts are
likely not set to sync in WMDC.

If you didn't have WMDC, there is no way the Mogul contacts would have got
on your PC. You would need to install it and sync the phone.

If you have WMDC and contacts in Outlook, then you should just be able to
attach the pro and let it set up a sync relationship.

Thanks.
Nondisclosure007
2009-02-19 21:31:06 UTC
Post by Sven
OK, I may be confused. You have the same PC you always had, with Vista on
it.
You have a new Touch Pro.
You had a Mogul. and had contacts on the Mogul.
Right so far?
You believed you were syncing the Mogul.
Do you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on the PC? If not, you
need it to sync contacts. Or anything else.
Is there anything in Outlook on the PC? (contacts?) If not then contacts are
likely not set to sync in WMDC.
If you didn't have WMDC, there is no way the Mogul contacts would have got
on your PC. You would need to install it and sync the phone.
If you have WMDC and contacts in Outlook, then you should just be able to
attach the pro and let it set up a sync relationship.
"OK, I may be confused. You have the same PC you always had, with
Vista on it." -Correct.
"You have a new Touch Pro." -Correct.
"You had a Mogul. and had contacts on the Mogul." -Correct
"You believed you were syncing the Mogul." -Correct. But it turns
out all it was doing was 'backing them up' and to where, I don't know.
"Do you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on the PC?" - Yes.
"Is there anything in Outlook on the PC? (contacts?)" -No. It is
'contact-less", yet all my contacts from the Mogul are on the new
Touch Pro. W/out ever making it into Outlook.
"If not then contacts are likely not set to sync in WMDC." -Well, in
WMDC, I have the Contact's box checked, but I don't find the contacts
in Outlook. Could it be in Outlook I'm not looking at the right
address book? I have 2 address books listed in Outlook "Outlook
Address Book" and below it, indented "Contacts". None of the contacts
on my phone show up in either of these.

Thanks again for all your help.l
Sven
2009-02-20 03:47:08 UTC
OK, real confused now. At least the contacts are on the new phone. Beats me
how that happened since WMDC doesn't really have a 'backup' feature. That
sort of went away in the sync software, AS and WMDC when persistent memory
became the norm. (That's another story) In my copy of Outlook 2007 (and all
before) I only have Contacts, no address book. Contacts can have folders, of
which only the root (main) folder will sync. Address Book sounds like a
different application, or a link to a different application, possibly
something like Windows Live or Hotmail or something that was either imported
or linked somehow. Weird.

Does sort of seem like Outlook isn't quite right. I've not seen Contacts as
a 'sub' of Address Book, so I would be hesitant to provide much advice as
I'm out of my comfort zone. It has been a while since I have run Outlook
stand-alone. I have it hooked to an exchange server, so it may look
different because of that.

r***@pen_fact.com
2009-02-20 18:35:47 UTC
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:31:06 -0800 (PST), Nondisclosure007
Post by Nondisclosure007
Post by Sven
OK, I may be confused. You have the same PC you always had, with Vista on
it.
clip
Post by Nondisclosure007
"Do you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed on the PC?" - Yes.
"Is there anything in Outlook on the PC? (contacts?)" -No. It is
'contact-less", yet all my contacts from the Mogul are on the new
Touch Pro. W/out ever making it into Outlook.
"If not then contacts are likely not set to sync in WMDC." -Well, in
WMDC, I have the Contact's box checked, but I don't find the contacts
in Outlook. Could it be in Outlook I'm not looking at the right
address book? I have 2 address books listed in Outlook "Outlook
Address Book" and below it, indented "Contacts". None of the contacts
on my phone show up in either of these.
My, perhaps naive, suggestions:

1) back up outlook on your PC. The somewhat techy way I do it is to
find and copy the data file. It almost certainly has a .pst extension,
probably is called outlook.pst, and probably is in

\Documents and Settings\yourid\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Note: the "Local Settings" folder may be hidden.

2) In ActiveSync/WMDC on the PC, go to Options -> Settings and choose
the setting to replace items on the desktop, or to merge (if replace
is not available)

www.penfact.com
Nondisclosure007
2009-03-12 17:52:38 UTC
Thanks everyone. I had to recently do a hard reset on my phone for an
unrelated issue.

After that, when I synced again, everything showed up.

Thanks again.