Hotmail Subject and From / To lines in Windows Mobile IE truncate
Webdb_Advisor
2009-04-04 04:23:01 UTC
Just got off the phone with my carrier ... I'm using WM 6 and in the past
couple of weeks when I open up Hotmail on my Samsung PDA the right hand side
of the browser window is blank ... and ... in the case of the Inbox ... the
From and Subject lines get truncated ... but messages display text just fine.

I have not noticed this problem with any other websiite.

Thank you ..

Steve
Todd Allcock
2009-04-07 18:18:31 UTC
Post by Webdb_Advisor
Just got off the phone with my carrier ... I'm using WM 6 and in the past
couple of weeks when I open up Hotmail on my Samsung PDA the right hand side
of the browser window is blank ... and ... in the case of the Inbox ... the
From and Subject lines get truncated ... but messages display text just fine.
I have not noticed this problem with any other websiite.
Thank you ..
Are you talking about the mobile version of the Hotmail site
(mobile.live.com)? It seems that MS has "hardcoded" the number of
characters that will display, causing subjects (and perhaps long "from"
names) to truncate. If I change the text size in IE Mobile to make the text
smaller, or switch to landscape view (or both) everything trancates in the
same place as before, so it just increases the unused white space on the
right hand side of the screen. The amount of content seemingly was designed
(and "fixed") not to wrap when using a portrait view on a QVGA device at
largest text size.

Not MS' best webpage design effort, IMO, but they've stepped up to the plate
with the new beta version of the mobile Hotmail site you can try at
http://m.mobile.live.com that truncates intelligently (only if you run out
of room- landscape and smaller text sizes display more text as they should!)
and displays the selected emails in full HTML.

As far as other Hotmail viewing alternatives, as of last month, all Hotmail
accounts now support POP3 access, so you can read it in the messaging app
rather than in your browser, using these settings:

Incoming POP server: pop3.live.com
Incoming POP mail port: 995
POP SSL required: Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID (for example: ***@hotmail.com)
Password: The password you use to sign in to Hotmail
Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Outgoing SMTP mail port: 25 or 587
Authentication required: Yes (your Windows Live ID and password)
SSL required: Yes

Also, the full Windows Live messaging/IM app just recently became available
for download at http://wl.windowsmobile.com, (previously it was only
included on devices by the manufacturers) enabling push email access to
Hotmail/Live email accounts via the messaging app.