WinMobile 6.1 -> 6.5?
ZootRot
2009-08-28 01:50:03 UTC
When 6.5 is launched will it be possible to upgrade from 6.1? or do I need
to buy another phone?
Scott Seligman
2009-08-28 02:03:01 UTC
Post by ZootRot
When 6.5 is launched will it be possible to upgrade from 6.1? or do I need
to buy another phone?
That's up to the operator/OEM. If history teaches us anything, most
will elect to not offer upgrades.
--
--------- Scott Seligman <scott at <firstname> and michelle dot net> ---------
I think; therefore I am.
-- Rene Descartes
Sven
2009-08-28 02:20:35 UTC
This question comes up every time there is a WinMo version change. Answer
is, It depends. Thing is it doesn't ever depend on MS. It depends on what
phone you got, how you got your phone and from whom. MS licenses the OS to
OEMs who then massage it, add to it, detract from it and then sell it to
you. Some do so directly like HTC, some partner with one,, or several,
mobile carriers to market their devices.

Any upgrade would come from the phone OEM. If it is a carrier branded phone,
AT&T, Verizon, etc. They would make the decision on whether to have the OEM
offer the upgrade to any particular device.

So what it comes down to is there will be an upgrade for an AT&T Tilt, if
AT&T asks HTC to develop one for it. Don't hold your breath on that. If you
paid the price for a non-carrier branded phone from an OEM directly, and it
is fairly recent, that OEM may provide an upgrade, for free, or at a price.
Some current phones have already had there upgrade intent be announced, both
from OEMs and I believe some carrier devices as well. If you got one of
those devices, feel blessed.

One point to be understood, is that all current WinMo phones can be declared
to be 'upgradeable'. All that technically means is that it runs on flash ROM
and you can load a new OS on it. It does not promise any one will generate
that new OS. Yes MS writes the core, but it has to be gconfigured a bit for
each individual device, and that may not be cost effective.

On the unofficial side there is a healthy 'hobbiest' environment that
delights in configuring builds of new OSs for existing hardware. While these
are certainly not officially tested and authorized builds, by MS, the device
manufacturer, or the carrier, many are quite good. They are however hobbiest
products, and you 'sign' an implied virtual waiver when using them. The
legality of these builds is a whole 'nuther topic.
need to buy another phone?
ZootRot
2009-08-28 04:41:54 UTC
Thanks Seven for a comprehensive answer.

I intend to purchase an HTC Touch Pro 2 from a non-US provider.

Can you point my in the direction of websites by some of these hobbiests?
I've made one or two small changes in previous phones based on searches and
a purchased registry tool, but never found full websites devoted to the art
of circumventing the annoyances from the carriers (and MSFT).
need to buy another phone?
Scott Seligman
2009-08-28 05:27:51 UTC
http://www.xda-developers.com/ is probably your best bet
--
--------- Scott Seligman <scott at <firstname> and michelle dot net> ---------
We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of
-- Jean Cocteau
Sven
2009-09-01 03:34:40 UTC
Scott's response to that would have ben mine as well. I would caution that
you read thoroughly, and pay special attention to the process, and/or
possibility of getting the OEM ROM for restoring your device to factory
specs, in case the 'upgrade' isn't all you hoped for, or you need to send in
for warranty. Since you mentioned non-US, it does seem that the European
providers tend to be a little better at providing upgrades. Seems to be a EU
thing. Just my impression, may be wrong. TouchPro2 is pretty darn new. Would
surprise me, and irritate many, if that one didn't get an upgrade.
Todd Allcock
2009-08-28 05:12:36 UTC
Excellent overview of the topic, Sven.

All I can add, is that in my experience, upgrades are only offered for
devices still actively produced when the upgrade is released. My AT&T Tilt
(HTC TyTn II), for example, is no longer offered by AT&T, so I'm 110% sure
there will never be an official WM 6.5 upgrade for it- mobile operators are
in the business of selling new phones, not extending the useful life of
phones they sold two years ago! The AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro), which is
still sold by AT&T, might see an upgrade if WM 6.5 were released today, but
will probably be discontinued by the time WM 6.5 drops and, therefore,
likely won't be upgraded.

New models released from this point onward (HTC Touch Pro 2, Samsung Omnia
II, Toshiba TG01, etc.) are pretty sure bets to receive upgrades.
Post by Sven
[...]
need to buy another phone?
KJD
2009-09-02 16:01:18 UTC
I've been running 6.5 for months on my Tilt courtesy of XDA. It's pretty
cool and just getting away from that terrible ATT ROM is a huge eye opener.
need to buy another phone?
unknown
2009-11-10 02:46:14 UTC
i have heard that 6.5 is significantly slower than 6.1 and many peopl
are requesting for ways to downgrade, is that true

thomsonweb
Sven
2009-11-11 23:37:11 UTC
Hadn't heard that myself. Only personal experience is on a Pure, that came
with 6.5. emperical impression is it runs as well as 6.1 runs on my 6.1
devices, but that is largely dependent on the processor and optimization
too. No way for me to know if this device would be faster or slower with
6.1. That is a bit of a chance you take when loading a ROM not designed by
the folks that designed your hardware...as good as they might be. The only
real answer to this would have to come from individuals that have obtained
OEM sanctioned and supplied upgrades, to get their take. Otherwise it is not
really a fair comparison. Of course, if the general response comes back that
any random build of 6.5 seems to run better than the 6.1 it replaced, great.
i have heard that 6.5 is significantly slower than 6.1 and many people