Sync with Phone & Computer, But Stop Connecting to Internet
HA
2009-06-17 12:25:01 UTC
How do I configure ActiveSync so that it enables my PC and smartphone (Palm
Treo Pro) to communicate, but it does not attempt to establish internet
access or server rights?

I want to sync my smartphone (Palm Treo) with my PC. ActiveSync is the
software that sits on the PC and that I was instructed to use. Even though,
I wish to connect the two devices (smartphone & PC) together, ActiveSync
insists on being available for third party devices to connect to it via the
internet. I learned this because I installed ZoneAlarm software that
requires any applications on my PC to ask for permission before connecting to
the internet. ActiveSync not only requires that it be able to access the
internet (which is a potential security risk) but also that it be able to
accept connections from the internet (which can be a major security
downfall). This setup could allow a random person on the internet to access
any and all data on the PC and smartphone. Since the PC and smartphone are
connected directly and can communicate via the USB cable, there is no need
for additional internet connections.. only greater risk. How do I configure
ActiveSync so that it does not attempt or allow any third parties to
establish internet connections?
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2009-06-17 19:20:38 UTC
Although I'm not familiar with ZoneAlarm, I think you're misinterpreting the
message. ActiveSync it never accessible from outside the building. In
fact, it only supports direct connections between the device and the PC,
Bluetooth and USB.

However, the means of communication between the device and the PC is, by
default, network-based. That is, when you plug the phone into the PC, it
acts like a new network card. The PC now has two network cards, the one
that you normally use, presumably, to access the Internet, and the device,
which can only be used to talk between the device and the PC. When you make
this connection, ActiveSync on the PC opens some TCP ports that the
ActiveSync program on the device uses to establish communication between
them. I would guess that this is what ZoneAlarm is complaining about. You
could, perhaps, limit ZoneAlarm's activities to just the main network card
that is normally installed in the PC and have it ignore the device
'network'. It might also be possible to configure, on the device,
ActiveSync to disable "advanced networking" (something like that), in the
ActiveSync application. This causes the device to no longer appear as a
network card and instead appear like a serial device. Since it's not a
network card any more, ZoneAlarm shouldn't care what it does.

Paul T.
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
2009-06-19 13:03:34 UTC
Do you have an external email account configured on the Treo Pro?
--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
HA
2009-06-21 23:46:01 UTC
Chris-- Yes, Email accounts are configured on the Treo Pro, but MS Outlook is
not setup on the desktop. Why do you ask?

Paul-- Thanks. To clearly distinguish the two connections, the "Windows
Mobile-based device" entry under ZoneAlarm's Firewall Zones can be assigned
to the Trusted zone (versus the Internet zone that is assigned to the NIC) &
the Trusted zone can be assigned the same security restrictions as the
Internet zone. ActiveSync can then be allowed access to the Trusted Zone but
not the Internet zone.
Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]
2009-06-22 22:01:37 UTC
That sounds right. Since ActiveSync itself won't accept connections from
anywhere on the network other than the attached mobile device, it's not a
security risk at all.

Paul T.
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

2009-06-28 18:07:05 UTC
Post by HA
[...]
1. There is a chance of misinterpreting the message of zonealerm.
If "component control" is enabled, zonealarm will ask something like "xxx
and components are trying to access the internet". It does _not_ mean that
some component is trying to access internet, but is means that a component
is loaded. So click "allow". There is _no_ "remember this setting" to check
or uncheck. In this case click "allow".

2. Activesync uses the address 127.0.0.1
Put 127.0.0.1 in the trusted zone.
When zonealarm pops up with "xxx is trying to access the trusted zone" then
first click / check "remember this setting", second click "allow".

3. If there are still questions of zonealarm, check "alerts and logs".

TR