STOP diverting iPhone to mobile sites PLEASE
Mark
2009-02-26 13:35:01 UTC
Why is everybody, including Microsoft now diverting iPhone users to the less
than impressive mobile versions of their site? I happily used my iPhone with
hotmail by just going to hotmail.com.... Now this as well as all Microsoft
sites I get diverted to a mobile version. The iPhone HAS a full browser
capable of viewing the full sites. This is why we all spend our hard earned
cash to buy one.
Microsoft, for heavens sake, remove the iPhone divert and give us back the
full sites.
Todd Allcock
2009-02-27 07:09:11 UTC
Post by Mark
Why is everybody, including Microsoft now diverting iPhone users to the less
than impressive mobile versions of their site? I happily used my iPhone with
hotmail by just going to hotmail.com.... Now this as well as all Microsoft
sites I get diverted to a mobile version. The iPhone HAS a full browser
capable of viewing the full sites. This is why we all spend our hard earned
cash to buy one.
Microsoft, for heavens sake, remove the iPhone divert and give us back the
full sites.
Most 'higher-end' mobile browsers, like Opera, or NetFront have a user
setting to mimic your choice of "mobile" or "desktop" browser. Sadly,
AFAIK, Safari Mobile does not, and betrays itself as an iPhone in its
User Agent.

Personally, I like mobile-optimized sites- regardless of the iPhone's
excellent rendering ability, all of that pinching, squeezing and
spreading is pain. Having said that, I think all of them should have a
link to let you opt for the full site instead, like YouTube, Amazon and
Google do.