Bing displays in French?
Ralph S. Thomas
2009-07-08 17:59:02 UTC
I have a Samsung ACE with Windows Mobile 6.1 installed, and Windows Live
Search now goes to Bing. Unfortunately, Bing displays in French, instead of
US English. This applies only to Bing from my phone -- not from my PC, and
all other web pages accessed from my phone display in US English.

Not having spoken French since a semester in 7th grade, I have been unable
to figure out how to fix this. Yes, I confirmed that my phone's Regional
Settings/Language is set to US English, and my Local is set to English
(United States).

Can anyone offer some helpful suggestions?
Todd Allcock
2009-07-08 18:10:47 UTC
Post by Ralph S. Thomas
I have a Samsung ACE with Windows Mobile 6.1 installed, and Windows Live
Search now goes to Bing. Unfortunately, Bing displays in French, instead of
US English. This applies only to Bing from my phone -- not from my PC, and
all other web pages accessed from my phone display in US English.
Not having spoken French since a semester in 7th grade, I have been unable
to figure out how to fix this. Yes, I confirmed that my phone's Regional
Settings/Language is set to US English, and my Local is set to English
(United States).
Can anyone offer some helpful suggestions?
A couple of questions, perhaps, to narrow down the problem.

First, what "Bing" are you talking about? The Bing navigation/mapping app
you download and execute on the device (formerly called Windows Live
Search), or the old Live Search web page (now called m.bing.com, IIRC.)

Second, is there any reason that Microsoft's servers would think you were in
a French speaking area and serve up the "appropriate" Frenchifyed version?
Are you in France? Connecting to your French-Canadian-headquarted corporate
network? Using a proxy server located in France?

When I traveled to Mexico last winter, I noticed my Google home page
rendered in Spanish since Google determined my location by the phone's IP
address.
travhf
2009-07-17 00:06:27 UTC
I have the same problem. If I view m.bing.com in my iPhone it comes u
automatically as French only. I emailed Microsoft about that, with n
response of course

Setting the language based on the IP is a really dumb idea especiall
if there is no way to change the language at all

travhf
Neb Okla
2009-09-09 19:03:12 UTC
automatically as French only. I emailed Microsoft about that, with no
response of course.
When you say you "emailed Microsoft", what address was it? Whenever people
say they called or emailed MS I always have to wonder...
Michael F
2009-08-27 16:57:02 UTC
I'm having the exact same problem with my Palm Treo Pro (running Windows
Mobile 6.1). Everything is in French, even when I bing or google how to
change languages I get nothing useful.

Searching Bing Mobile in French is just like a Bing commercial. Search:
change language on bing mobile Result: learn a new language on your mobile
phone
Jerem
phone
Ronjax2000
2009-09-03 16:48:01 UTC
I was having a similar issue, but deleting the files and clearing the history
in Tools>Options in IE in WM6.1 resolved the issue. When I returned to
m.bing.com it came up in English. I immediately set and saved my location
using the link on the page.
phone
Neb Okla
2009-09-09 19:19:16 UTC
Having the same issue on an HTC Mogul (Sprint) that I just picked up from the
store. I go to http://m.bing.com and everything is in Spanish. Though I
understand Spanish, I can't seem to find any language settings.

The phone is set to "English (United States)" in the "Regional Settings".
It's also set to Eastern time in the time settings.

Nothing listed in this thread fixed it - so I downloaded the Bing app for my
phone, then clicked "Web" and did a search. Now my http://m.bing.com results
are in English again. Odd.
frittob
2009-09-14 17:23:01 UTC
Same problem here, except m.bing.com comes up in spanish (huh)

Why should I have to clear cookies to use a ms website ... Sorry Microsoft,
if you guys aren't smart enough to use Regional Settings on a Windows Mobile
6.1 device ... then i'll find a different search/mapping app (there's quite a
few of them out there)
Sieg Heil MS
2009-09-29 00:26:01 UTC
I have the same problem- Bing on my Samsung ACE with WM 6.0 displays in
German and there is no way I can change it to English. I am in Texas and do
not connect to my company's servers for Internet use.
Stupid Bing, stupid MS